"Character Determines Success" is a slogan of a training course, regarding the characteristic of a person. Most of the engineer in my company have to attend the course.
Today, I presented the scenarios, reflecting the characteristic that mentioned in the course.
Scenario 1: Attentiveness vs Distraction
In a meeting room, everyone sit around a meeting table. One engineer sharing the information via projector and explaining. During the sharing, someone trigger another side discussion, distract couple of audiences' attention and disturbing the rest. I was trying to pay attention to the sharing, but the side discussion was too loud. That is a small meeting room, 8 of us were merely fit in the room. You can imagine that the side discussion will be heard by everyone. So, at that same moment, 2 persons were talking, a group having discussion with the presenter, the other group had their own agenda. Guess who was the culprit? yes.. the high ranking personnel, the boss. After he done with his side discussion, he asked the question, that we had just discussed, then presenter need to repeat the explanation. This is why the meeting time will always been dragging, cause having this type of person that do not respect other attendees.
Scenario 2: Responsibility vs Unreliability
Last week
Boss: "hey, I have done the modification on the document, can you help me to setup a review session? Hope to close it by next week."
me: ("....@#$%^&... Am I secretary?") "I will set it up after I done my work on hands."
Today at review session
me: "Boss, as the author of the document, will not join the review. err.. I am not sure what changes he had made..."
Engineer A: "oh.. he had another newer version, which I requested him to highlight the changes." (ask me to setup review, but not inform me when have a newer version.)
me: "ar? how come he did not inform me? Then no one review the document before this session lo?"
We raised some questions because not understand what's the author try to express, but the author was not in the review to give the explanation. So, have to jot down, get clarification and discuss again in next review. Wasting everyone's time. :(
Do not think the story end here.... He will need me to complete the mess that he left over, he had assigned me to fill in the missing information in the document. This is his style, always started the task, do it half way, do not provide sufficient info for next person to follow up, then he gone. DAMN IT!!!!
Another action item for me, on top of bunch of my stacking tasks.
uh uh... I must stay calm, it is useless for me to get angry on this matter. I know I have done my job, this is the situation where by the one that not able to complete the task and try to delegate to more capable person... I must calm down, think positively.. breath deeply... calm calm calm....
Today, I presented the scenarios, reflecting the characteristic that mentioned in the course.
Scenario 1: Attentiveness vs Distraction
In a meeting room, everyone sit around a meeting table. One engineer sharing the information via projector and explaining. During the sharing, someone trigger another side discussion, distract couple of audiences' attention and disturbing the rest. I was trying to pay attention to the sharing, but the side discussion was too loud. That is a small meeting room, 8 of us were merely fit in the room. You can imagine that the side discussion will be heard by everyone. So, at that same moment, 2 persons were talking, a group having discussion with the presenter, the other group had their own agenda. Guess who was the culprit? yes.. the high ranking personnel, the boss. After he done with his side discussion, he asked the question, that we had just discussed, then presenter need to repeat the explanation. This is why the meeting time will always been dragging, cause having this type of person that do not respect other attendees.
Scenario 2: Responsibility vs Unreliability
Last week
Boss: "hey, I have done the modification on the document, can you help me to setup a review session? Hope to close it by next week."
me: ("....@#$%^&... Am I secretary?") "I will set it up after I done my work on hands."
Today at review session
me: "Boss, as the author of the document, will not join the review. err.. I am not sure what changes he had made..."
Engineer A: "oh.. he had another newer version, which I requested him to highlight the changes." (ask me to setup review, but not inform me when have a newer version.)
me: "ar? how come he did not inform me? Then no one review the document before this session lo?"
We raised some questions because not understand what's the author try to express, but the author was not in the review to give the explanation. So, have to jot down, get clarification and discuss again in next review. Wasting everyone's time. :(
Do not think the story end here.... He will need me to complete the mess that he left over, he had assigned me to fill in the missing information in the document. This is his style, always started the task, do it half way, do not provide sufficient info for next person to follow up, then he gone. DAMN IT!!!!
Another action item for me, on top of bunch of my stacking tasks.
uh uh... I must stay calm, it is useless for me to get angry on this matter. I know I have done my job, this is the situation where by the one that not able to complete the task and try to delegate to more capable person... I must calm down, think positively.. breath deeply... calm calm calm....
Comments