I had been to Kota Kinabalu from 15 - 21 March. This was an adventurous trip. It was very tiring and exciting. :D It was raining everyday in KK, especially in the afternoon. Let me share my trip with you. :)
departing from Penang
Day 1 - depart to KK
I think I am too excited to go for vacation. I woke up at 4am++ in the morning :s Nothing to do, clean my room, chatting with a friend online. I wait for my house mate to wake up and fetch me to the airport. My colleagues and I, totally 6 persons in a group. We touched down in KK Airport Terminal 2, met the agent and he brought us to the lodge and gave us some briefing. We checked in at Velvet Lodge. Then, we hang around in KK town, by walking. It's raining day, we stopped if the rain was too heavy. The KK town city is not much different than my hometown, shoplots along the streets, a number of shopping complex, some high raise building... The town is by seaside. There are quite a number of markets or cafes by the seaside. When tired, we went to cafe, sit and rest. This day, we having seafood dinner. The restaurant has culture show, not really interesting for us. After 2 performances, we went back to the lodge. Everyone was very tired, the whole day long traveling from PG to KK, then hang around the city in bad weather day. We went to bed earlier.
I think I am too excited to go for vacation. I woke up at 4am++ in the morning :s Nothing to do, clean my room, chatting with a friend online. I wait for my house mate to wake up and fetch me to the airport. My colleagues and I, totally 6 persons in a group. We touched down in KK Airport Terminal 2, met the agent and he brought us to the lodge and gave us some briefing. We checked in at Velvet Lodge. Then, we hang around in KK town, by walking. It's raining day, we stopped if the rain was too heavy. The KK town city is not much different than my hometown, shoplots along the streets, a number of shopping complex, some high raise building... The town is by seaside. There are quite a number of markets or cafes by the seaside. When tired, we went to cafe, sit and rest. This day, we having seafood dinner. The restaurant has culture show, not really interesting for us. After 2 performances, we went back to the lodge. Everyone was very tired, the whole day long traveling from PG to KK, then hang around the city in bad weather day. We went to bed earlier.
Waterfront Esplanade
Day2 - White Water Rafting @ Padas
A fresh new day. The adventure was waiting for us, the white water rafting at Padas. The organizer is Busat. The bus picked us up and another 3 groups of people at 7.30am. We heading to Tenom railway station, via the mountain route. The initially plan was changed at the very last minutes. We not going to Beaufort to take train, because the train not operated on the day. By bus, it will take longer hours to reach our destination. The route was very slanting, the bus hardly to move an inch when we were at the mountain route. The engine was roaring like going to halt at any minute. That was not the worse case yet... "pook".... the tyre punctured. :( Hhmm... not easy to change the bus tyre. There were 5 or 6 persons, worked together to fix it. Finally, got it done in 40 minutes. We continued the journey, reached Tenom railway station at 12.40pm, very hungry lo..
We took the old train to Pangi, the starting point of the rafting. We took some refreshments, then put on the safety gear. The rafting guides gave us safety instructions. After that, we walked about 5 minutes to the river side. Each boat had around 10 persons, include 2 crews, as commander and they control the boat. The journey took about 1 hour. There are 5 rapids, the most excited part is "Washing Machine", it's go cyclic, the most highly chance to cause the boat to capsize. 2 out of 4 boats capsized. Our boat was safe, we came to the rescue. :D Actually, we started as last boat, but we were the first one to complete the route. High 5 to all. :D The ending point was at Rayoh.
A fresh new day. The adventure was waiting for us, the white water rafting at Padas. The organizer is Busat. The bus picked us up and another 3 groups of people at 7.30am. We heading to Tenom railway station, via the mountain route. The initially plan was changed at the very last minutes. We not going to Beaufort to take train, because the train not operated on the day. By bus, it will take longer hours to reach our destination. The route was very slanting, the bus hardly to move an inch when we were at the mountain route. The engine was roaring like going to halt at any minute. That was not the worse case yet... "pook".... the tyre punctured. :( Hhmm... not easy to change the bus tyre. There were 5 or 6 persons, worked together to fix it. Finally, got it done in 40 minutes. We continued the journey, reached Tenom railway station at 12.40pm, very hungry lo..
We took the old train to Pangi, the starting point of the rafting. We took some refreshments, then put on the safety gear. The rafting guides gave us safety instructions. After that, we walked about 5 minutes to the river side. Each boat had around 10 persons, include 2 crews, as commander and they control the boat. The journey took about 1 hour. There are 5 rapids, the most excited part is "Washing Machine", it's go cyclic, the most highly chance to cause the boat to capsize. 2 out of 4 boats capsized. Our boat was safe, we came to the rescue. :D Actually, we started as last boat, but we were the first one to complete the route. High 5 to all. :D The ending point was at Rayoh.
the rapid @ Padas
Time to get shower. The heavy rain few days ago caused the water became very muddy. The water supply was from river, it was in yellowish color. :( So we decided to clean ourselves at a bayou of the river, instead of the bath room. :D The river water is crystal clear, much better to clean myself compare to muddy water. :P The BBQ lunch was prepared for us. After lunch, we took the old train back to Tenom. Another long journey to back to KK town, 5 hours drive, we took another route to go back to KK. We had our dinner at 10pm. :( Then, I went to
meet my friend at 11pm, haha... A long time no see friend, lost contact for many years. We chatting till around 1am, more to chat, but, I need to rest for next day activities.
Day 3 - Island Hopping: Sapi, Manukan, Mamutik
Island hopping. In the morning, we walked to Jesselton Jetty. There are few counters, offering the island hopping package. Our tour guide help us to get the deal. We visited Pulau Sapi, Manukan and Mamunik. I was not convenience to go into water.. :( too bad for me lo... My groups got for snorkeling, swimming, water sport.. Me?? I walked around the island, took photos, enjoy the scenery, reading the book, listen to music... Quite a relax day for me. I got sunburn, not too serious la, yea.. I can bring back the sunshine of Sabah with me. :)
meet my friend at 11pm, haha... A long time no see friend, lost contact for many years. We chatting till around 1am, more to chat, but, I need to rest for next day activities.
Day 3 - Island Hopping: Sapi, Manukan, Mamutik
Island hopping. In the morning, we walked to Jesselton Jetty. There are few counters, offering the island hopping package. Our tour guide help us to get the deal. We visited Pulau Sapi, Manukan and Mamunik. I was not convenience to go into water.. :( too bad for me lo... My groups got for snorkeling, swimming, water sport.. Me?? I walked around the island, took photos, enjoy the scenery, reading the book, listen to music... Quite a relax day for me. I got sunburn, not too serious la, yea.. I can bring back the sunshine of Sabah with me. :)
the beach of Pulau Manukan
Day 4 - Poring Hot Spring & Canopy Walk
We departed to Kinabalu Park. We stopped at Ranau, visited Pekan Nabalu, a local market that sell lots of souvenirs. I bought one or two souvenirs for this trip, as I might not able to bring too many stuffs back after climbing. :P There is a platform, where tourist can take photo of Mt KK.
We departed to Kinabalu Park. We stopped at Ranau, visited Pekan Nabalu, a local market that sell lots of souvenirs. I bought one or two souvenirs for this trip, as I might not able to bring too many stuffs back after climbing. :P There is a platform, where tourist can take photo of Mt KK.
Mount Kinabalu
We proceeded to Poring Hot Spring. We went to canopy walk first. It was a warming up hiking trail for us before we heading to Mt KK. :D After we came down from canopy, we had relaxing time at the open bath area. There are many pools, each with hot and cold water tap for your convenience, so that you can adjust the temperature of the water by yourself. We spent about 3 hours here.
canopy walk
Day 5 - Climbing from Mesilau to Laban Rata
We packed our belonging, the change of cloth for 2 days climbing. We need to carry the bag along the way up to mountain, so, only brought the necessary stuffs. My backpack around 8kg (the tour guide said so when he weighing it using his arm hee...). Mt KK climbing start at Mesilau. The trail is 7.5KM to Laban Rata. Although this is longer trail, but the view is very fascinating. The mountain and waterfall, the blue sky and cloud, the cooling weather and rain, the flora and fauna, the rocky trails, the slopes, the steps... It was raining in the afternoon. We put on the raincoat and continued. The route is up the hill, down the hill and up and down again... We took 9 hours to reach Laban Rata!!!
We packed our belonging, the change of cloth for 2 days climbing. We need to carry the bag along the way up to mountain, so, only brought the necessary stuffs. My backpack around 8kg (the tour guide said so when he weighing it using his arm hee...). Mt KK climbing start at Mesilau. The trail is 7.5KM to Laban Rata. Although this is longer trail, but the view is very fascinating. The mountain and waterfall, the blue sky and cloud, the cooling weather and rain, the flora and fauna, the rocky trails, the slopes, the steps... It was raining in the afternoon. We put on the raincoat and continued. The route is up the hill, down the hill and up and down again... We took 9 hours to reach Laban Rata!!!
fascinating view
I was totally exhausted when reached the rest house. I merely can breathe. :s I was cold, hungry, weak and too tired to take food either. I took a bit of hot food to fill my stomach. Although it was a buffet dinner, but I could not take too much. Time to rest, no shower at that night, but wiped off the sweat and changed, then went to sleep.
Day 6 - Laban Rata to Low's Peak of Mount Kota Kinabalu
I could not sleep tight, only slept for 2 hours, woke up at 1am!!! We start the climbing to summit at 2.30am. It is about 2.5km to the Low's Peak of Mt KK. We climbed in the dark, the weather was very cold, we put on winter wear and walked with touch light. The pace was slow, the air is thin, a bit hard in breathing. The trail is very challenging. There is one part where we need to hold tight to the rope and climbed by the cliff, you will need strong arms to pull yourself up the cliff.
I felt very tired and almost collapsed. I was alone as I lost my gang, I moved in small and slow steps. After few steps, took a long breath. I took power bar and chocolate along the way, I need more energy to reach the summit. I need more encouragement. I was very lucky, a few mountain guides gave me helping hands. One of the guide, held my hand till I reached the summit. He chatted with me, guide me to walk on easier trail. I really appreciated his help and encouragement. If not him, I think most likely I won't able to reach the summit.
Day 6 - Laban Rata to Low's Peak of Mount Kota Kinabalu
I could not sleep tight, only slept for 2 hours, woke up at 1am!!! We start the climbing to summit at 2.30am. It is about 2.5km to the Low's Peak of Mt KK. We climbed in the dark, the weather was very cold, we put on winter wear and walked with touch light. The pace was slow, the air is thin, a bit hard in breathing. The trail is very challenging. There is one part where we need to hold tight to the rope and climbed by the cliff, you will need strong arms to pull yourself up the cliff.
I felt very tired and almost collapsed. I was alone as I lost my gang, I moved in small and slow steps. After few steps, took a long breath. I took power bar and chocolate along the way, I need more energy to reach the summit. I need more encouragement. I was very lucky, a few mountain guides gave me helping hands. One of the guide, held my hand till I reached the summit. He chatted with me, guide me to walk on easier trail. I really appreciated his help and encouragement. If not him, I think most likely I won't able to reach the summit.
summit of Mount Kinabalu
It was around 6am when I reached the peak. Ha ha.. met my gang there. :D When the sun rise, the scenery was so great, the peak is spectacular. Everyone at the peak was so so excited. Now, I can see the mountain clearly. Sometime, the mountain will be in the mist. After took some photos, we descending to Laban Rata. Sigh.. another long and hard journey. The descending trail had caused my legs to get pain and some blisters on my feet. Its took about 6 hours thru and flow. I reached Laban Rata at 9am.
waterfall of cloud
After took breakfast, we proceeded to descend to the base via Timpohon trail. It was raining heavily, the route was muddy, wet, slippery. My shoes were wet from inside out. :s All I thought about at that moment was to complete the trail ASAP. We walked in wet for 5 hours!!! Finally, I am done with this adventurous mountain climbing. This is my first time and the ONLY time. I don't I will have this crazy idea to climb for second time.. hee.. Or maybe someday I am insane, maybe will have another trip here... :P
We took our lunch at around 4pm. :( Then, we back to KK city. We checked in at Borneo BeacHouse. I felt so sticky and stingy for not bath for 2 days. Hurray, I can clean myself now.
Day 7 - Mission Accomplished
We leaving Sabah.
This is a very adventurous and exciting trip for me. It is an achievement for me to reach the summit of Mount Kinabalu. Besides strong will and self discipline, I learned that the encouragement and support from the fellow is very important to complete the tough mission. I can feel the warm when there is someone beside me when I need the support.
The Cost of the Trip:
AirAsia Flight Ticket
RM316
a) Penang - Kota Kinabalu
3D2N Mount Kinabalu & Poring Hot Spring via Mesilau trail
RM700/pax includes:
a) Transport
- Lodge --> Mt.Kinabalu --> Poring Hot spring --> Fairy Garden Resort --> Mesilau gate
- Timpohon gate --> Park HQ --> Lodge
b) 1 night accommodation at Fairy Garden Resort.
c) 1 night accommodation at mountain hut, Gunting Lagadan.
d) Fee , climbing permit, insurance, mountain guide, certificateMeals (2 breakfasts, 1 packed lunch, 1 lunch, 2 dinners)
e) Excluded: Tipping, soft drink and alcohol.
White Water Rafting at Padas
RM200/pax includes:
a) Transportation from KK to rafting area and return.
b) Rafting equipment
c) Insurance
d) BBQ lunch
e) Guide and Certificate.
Accommodation at Kota Kinabalu
a) Velvet Lodge & Lounge
- 3 nights stay * RM30 = RM90
b) Borneo BeacHouse
- 1 night stay * RM15 = RM15
Island Hopping
a) Get the package at jetty
b) 3 islands – Pulau Sapi, Manukan, Mamutik
c) Tour package – RM43
d) Snorkeling mask – RM3
e) Snorkeling life jacket – RM5
Total Cost: around RM1600
The tourist agent of the trip is good. He met us at airport and lead us to the lodge. When we went to island hopping, he make sure we were safely aboard the boat. :D Actually, he no need to accompany us to jetty, as we decided not to have guide to island. He very responsible to walk with us to jetty. If any of you wanna go KK, I can give you his contact. :)
We took our lunch at around 4pm. :( Then, we back to KK city. We checked in at Borneo BeacHouse. I felt so sticky and stingy for not bath for 2 days. Hurray, I can clean myself now.
Day 7 - Mission Accomplished
We leaving Sabah.
This is a very adventurous and exciting trip for me. It is an achievement for me to reach the summit of Mount Kinabalu. Besides strong will and self discipline, I learned that the encouragement and support from the fellow is very important to complete the tough mission. I can feel the warm when there is someone beside me when I need the support.
The Cost of the Trip:
AirAsia Flight Ticket
RM316
a) Penang - Kota Kinabalu
3D2N Mount Kinabalu & Poring Hot Spring via Mesilau trail
RM700/pax includes:
a) Transport
- Lodge --> Mt.Kinabalu --> Poring Hot spring --> Fairy Garden Resort --> Mesilau gate
- Timpohon gate --> Park HQ --> Lodge
b) 1 night accommodation at Fairy Garden Resort.
c) 1 night accommodation at mountain hut, Gunting Lagadan.
d) Fee , climbing permit, insurance, mountain guide, certificateMeals (2 breakfasts, 1 packed lunch, 1 lunch, 2 dinners)
e) Excluded: Tipping, soft drink and alcohol.
White Water Rafting at Padas
RM200/pax includes:
a) Transportation from KK to rafting area and return.
b) Rafting equipment
c) Insurance
d) BBQ lunch
e) Guide and Certificate.
Accommodation at Kota Kinabalu
a) Velvet Lodge & Lounge
- 3 nights stay * RM30 = RM90
b) Borneo BeacHouse
- 1 night stay * RM15 = RM15
Island Hopping
a) Get the package at jetty
b) 3 islands – Pulau Sapi, Manukan, Mamutik
c) Tour package – RM43
d) Snorkeling mask – RM3
e) Snorkeling life jacket – RM5
Total Cost: around RM1600
The tourist agent of the trip is good. He met us at airport and lead us to the lodge. When we went to island hopping, he make sure we were safely aboard the boat. :D Actually, he no need to accompany us to jetty, as we decided not to have guide to island. He very responsible to walk with us to jetty. If any of you wanna go KK, I can give you his contact. :)
Comments